Wednesday, December 30, 2009

DAEGU HO!

Here's a New Year's Resolution: more posting in this thing, maybe. Also at some point the arrest story. BUT FIRST and more importantly, the story of how I got to Daegu! When last we left our intrepid hero, I had just finished training, and had to indeed lug all my luggage to the training center for the last day. After we finished and were given our contracts, I am basically given a ticket, a taxi, and a time to catch my train. Of course, I misread the time for my train (military time?! what is this, a 3rd world country?!) which leads to a very stressful 10 minutes in my taxi, only to get to the station and realize my mistake. I spend the next couple hours monstrously hungry but too paranoid to leave my baggage, and use my laptop to fuck around on the internet and pray I'm even getting on the right train.

Well, I do, and I spend the train ride watching some-movie-or-other on my mp3 player, which funny story is also Korean. That's the story, my mp3 player is Korean. At the Daegu station I'm met by someone who I hope is really from my school, because I'm totally not in the mood to get scammed for 160 bucks again. That would be pretty lame. BUT! The Korean dude is legit, and he drives me to my apartment. Most cars here I've found have this GPS/Media player device on the dashboard, and during the ride he uses one to show me this:



I am informed that this blonde fellow is a Genius, and my 32-year old driver is a big fan. After more light conversation in broken English about G-Dragon, we get to my apartment where I'm shown how to work my heating, I don't understand at all, and then I'm whisked to the academy where I'll be working for the next year.

At the school I'm given some towels, fruit, and a sandwich which my overly-maternal boss insists I eat while she watches. There's some action with my contract, and then I'm taken back to my apartment and which point oh fuck it PICTURE TIME:


Oh, hello! I almost didn't hear you come in to my FABULOUS KOREAN APARTMENT. Why yes, this is a pink apron the last tenant left behind that I'm wearing, so kind of you to notice!


Living room central! From here you can see the sliding doors to my bedroom on the left, and my patio/washing room on the right! Also, couch and TV! Yes!


3 locks and a peephole on my door! Double yes!


Next to my living room we have my kitchen, with bathroom on the left and bedroom on the right. I know you're jealous of my pillows, and that is okay.


Bedroom!


Free condiments! Score!


A shower that isn't separated from the toilet! Uh...neat.


And that shower points directly at an open electrical socket! Wow, that's spectacularly dangerous!


Free Thai bootleg DVDs! ...And no DVD player! Surely the parade of free stuff the previous tenant left will never end?


Uh oh. Ever walked 10 blocks downtown through a foreign city carrying a jumbo pack of toilet paper? Oh man is it super fun. Just a great time.


But at least I got sweet Christmas lights around my bedroom window! Some awesome adult times are gonna be had here, maybe!

Well, I'm running out of old pictures of my apartment to share, so I'll leave you with this fun bit from my last day of training - we got the medical results from our physicals back, and we had all passed but I noticed my results had this little note in Korean where no one else's did:



So if you can read Korean, you now know something weird about my body! I bet it has to do with my urine!

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Those are some stylish alphabet magnets on your fridge.... just like that fashionable apron.

    Delicious Korean Kitchen Style.

    ReplyDelete